Bails are set by the judiciary, not the staff of the Correctional Center. There are numerous types and conditions of bails. The underlying purpose of a bail is to insure that a defendant will appear for court after their release from custody.
Once the matter is resolved, all bail monies will be returned to the poster or bonding agent. (Providing that the defendant adhered to the conditions of bail and appeared in court)
You can forfeit a bail if the defendant does not show up for court or does not follow conditions that were set.
The full amount set by the court must be paid in cash before the inmate can be released from custody
Cash or Bond:
The full amount of the bail may be paid in cash or you may procure the services of a Bail Bond Company to post the full amount of the bail. *Please note that Bail Bond Companies charge a fee to post the bail and this fee will not be returned*
Ten Percent Cash Option:
The court permits the person posting bail to only have 10% of the bail amount to release the defendant from custody. For example, if the bail is set at $1000 with a 10%, one only needs to post $100 to secure the defendants release. It should be noted that if the defendant absconds and forfeits his bail, the person that posted the 10% will lose that amount and the defendant is responsible for the other 90%
Bails in the form of bonds are accepted at the Corrections center 24 Hours a day, 7 days a week. The staff of the HCCC will process the paperwork and discharge the defendant as quickly as possible. An additional warrant check will be made at this time. If there are any problems with the bond or other warrants or detainers, you will be notified immediately. You should wait on jail property until the defendant is released for this reason.
The intake and classification unit is responsible for the admission of over 270 inmates and the discharge of 240 individuals on a weekly basis.
This unit produces all inmates for transport to municipal and superior courts within Hudson County.
Additionally, the unit is responsible for supervising the facilitys video link with Central Judicial Processing (C.J.P.) court as well as video court links with many of the municipal courts within the county. The professionalism of the personnel in this area allows them to effectively meet the demands of managing such a large inmate population.